I like a meatball. In my quest so as to add plant-based recipes to my food regimen, I attempted making meatballs out of a mix of eggplant and mushrooms, with nice outcomes. I like including cashews for texture in addition to just a little protein. These meatball sandwiches style actually indulgent (hiya, melted provolone!), however I additionally love utilizing the eggplant balls on spaghetti with marinara. Even your pickiest meat-eater might be very completely happy. Promise.
Eggplant “Meat”Ball Sandwiches
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Complete Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes
6 cups (490 g) diced eggplant, peel left on (about 1 medium eggplant)
2 Tbsp, plus 1 tsp olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly floor black pepper
eight oz (225 g) cremini mushrooms, quartered
1/2 cup (60 g) unsalted uncooked cashews
1/2 cup (40 g) panko breadcrumbs
1/Four cup (25 g) grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
2 cloves garlic, grated
2 Tbsp minced contemporary flat-leaf parsley
1 giant egg, flippantly whisked
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
Four kaiser rolls
1 1/2 cups (360 ml) marinara sauce (your favourite store-bought or do-it-yourself)
Four slices provolone cheese
Four contemporary basil leaves
Pickled banana peppers (non-obligatory)
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
2. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Put the eggplant in a big bowl and slowly drizzle with 1 Tbsp of the oil. Stir and drizzle in an extra tablespoon of oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and toss to mix. Unfold out on a ready baking sheet.
3. Mix the mushrooms and the remaining 1 tsp oil and unfold on the second baking sheet. Bake the eggplant and mushrooms for 10 minutes, then stir and bake for an extra 10 minutes. (Reserve one baking sheet with parchment paper to make use of once more to bake the meatballs.)
4. Cut back the oven temperature to 400°F (205°C). Pulse the eggplant a number of instances in a meals processor till coarse in texture. Switch to a big bowl. Pulse the mushrooms till coarse and add to the identical bowl. Pulse the cashews till coarse and switch to the bowl. (Processing every thing collectively will make the combination too mushy; make sure you take the time to course of the substances one after the other.) Add the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, garlic, parsley, egg, 1/2 tsp salt, and just a little pepper. Stir to mix. Use an ice cream scoop or your palms to scoop the eggplant combination into 12 balls and prepare them on the reserved lined baking sheet. Bake till crispy and browned, about 20 minutes.
5. Unfold butter onto the kaiser rolls and toast within the oven till flippantly golden brown. Toss the eggplant balls with marinara and place Three on the underside piece of every roll. Prime with provolone and bake till the cheese melts, about Four minutes. Take away from the oven and high every with a torn basil leaf and the highest roll. Serve with banana peppers and grated Parmesan, if desired.